Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish is a wonderful way to serve potato pirogies, or corned beef. I make all three plus a creamy cornbread casserole for St. Patrick's day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet, add onions and sauté until well browned but still soft about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add cabbage and cook until wilted.
- Stir in wine and broth scraping the bottom to loosen browned bits.
- Cover skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until cabbage is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- If serving with pirogi, add cooked pirogi and simmer for about 5 minutes.
This was good... reminded me of the cabbage i get at chinese restaurants.