This is an outstanding fish chowder - I make it every Christmas Eve. It is rich and delicious, and great for company. It takes more time and effort than a regular meal, but cooks in one pot, so it is pretty easy to execute. It actually tastes better if you make it a few hours in advance and let it sit. It is adapted from an old HP recipe book, but I have tinkered with it over the past twenty years. Serve with fresh bread and a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb firm white fish (like halibut)
- 1 lb fresh seafood (I prefer shrimp and scallops)
- 2 cups half-and-half (1 pint)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1Saute bacon pieces in a large kettle or dutch oven until it starts to brown.
- 2Add onion and celery, saute until soft & translucent.
- 3Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme & sage. Stir frequently for about 1 minute.
- 4Stir in flour and cook for another minute or two stirring constantly. Do not let flour burn!
- 5Add water and clam juice. Bring to a boil and add potatoes. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 6While cooking, wash and prepare seafood by cutting into bite size pieces. I usually cut fish into 1 inch cubes, and halve scallops and peel/devein shrimp.
- 7When potatoes are done, add fish to stock mixture & simmer for five minutes. Add other seafood and cook for two more minutes.
- 8Stir in half and half plus salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Heat through and it's ready to serve. Garnish each bowl with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fancy Seafood Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.8
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 415.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 20.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: