Recipe by O. Romaine
I developed this recipe to serve as an appetizer at parties. The presentation is lovely and the preparation is fairly easy but does require several hours/overnight chilling time before you can slice them. The recipe makes 100 individual pinwheels so it is easy to judge how many batches you will need to feed your guests. It makes two different types of sandwiches to suite everyones taste.It is usually one of the crowd favorites wherever I take it. .
Roast Beef and Cheddar Pinwheels
- 5 count sun dried tomato flavored wraps or 5 count tortillas
- 1 (9 ounce) containerroast deli roast beef
- 1 cheddar & horseraddish cheese spread, softened at room temp
- 1 large cucumber
- 10 leaves leaves lettuce
Turkey and Garlic Herb Pinwheels
- 5 count spinach flavored wraps or 5 count tortillas
- 1 (9 ounce) containersmoked turkey deli meat
- 1 garlic & herb spreadable cheese, softened at room temp
- 15 slices cooked bacon
- 10 leaves leaves lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- You will be making two different types of pinwheels: Roast Beef with Cheddar and cucumber in a tomato wrap and Turkey with bacon and garlic herb cheese in a spinach wrap.
- Wash head of lettuce and dry thoroughly.
- Slice off the ends of the cucumber and remove the skin.
- Cut in half lenghtwise and each half again and scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Slice each quarter into thin, wedgeshaped strips.
- Place a tomato wrap on a cutting board and cover the surface of it with a thin layer of the cheddar horseraddish cheese spread, making sure to go to the edges. This is very important as the cheese spread holds everything together.
- Leaving the top 2" of the wrap uncovered, lay 2 lettuce leaves on the cheese and press gently. You will need the layer of just cheese to "stick" the wrap together after rolling.
- Lay 2 slices of Roast Beef on top of the lettuce.
- Place about 3 wedges of cucumber crosswise on each slice of Roast Beef bringing the ends together in the middle.
- Starting from the bottom, roll the wrap upward, firmly but gently as not to tear it, finishing at the layer of cheese.
- Cover the pinwheel with a piece of plastice wrap , twisting the ends to secure.
- Repeat for the 4 remaining wraps.
- You use the same preparation process for the Turkey and Garlic Herb Pinwheels using the Spinach wraps, garlic and herb cheese spread, Smoked Turkey and the lettuce leaves. Omit the cucumber and add 3 bacon strips placed crosswise over the turkey. Roll and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place wrapped pinwheels in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight to allow cheese to firm back up. You want them cold and firm when you slice them.
- After chilling, remove plastic wrap and place pinwheel on a cutting board. Using a thin, sharp serated knife slice off the end and then continue cutting slices down every 1/2" until you reach the other end. Neither of the end pieces will be nice enough for presentation but that doesn't mean the cook can't enjoy them!
- You will have 50 slices of each kind of pinwheel when you are finished.