Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Ground meat of your choosing, cheese and tomato sauce but fixed up 'fancy'. My grandma use to make this for me when I was a child. Kid friendly, easy and good.
Top Review by Brenda.
*Made for PAC Fall 2007* These are great burgers! I made them as the recipe was written, but may try the variations sometime. They were quick to put together and the sauce separated them from the same old, same old burgers. Loved the cheesey surprise in the middle! Nick's Mom
Directions See How It's Made
- Form 8 patties from the ground meat. I usually use ground chicken breast or lean ground sirloin. Ground turkey is ok but it is going to be very soft so you may want to add some bread crumbs to firm it up- A mix of ground meats works well too.
- Place cheese in the center of 4 of the patties.
- Top each cheese topped patty with a non cheese topped patty and pinch edges to seal all the cheese inside.
- In a hot non stick pan add 1 tsp of salt- this will keep the grease from settling in the burgers- Gramma trick!
- Fry the patties on each side until browned and cooked through.
- Remove patties and keep them warm on a paper towel lined plated.
- Drain grease from pan and add tomato sauce and brown sugar.
- Cook until sugar is dissolved and sauce is warm. Add salt and pepper to taste- can also add some garlic and onion powder as well- to taste.
- Return the patties to the pan with the warm sauce turning once to coat.
- Spoon sauce on top of each patty when serving.
- When you cut into the patty the cheese will melt out! YUM.
- NOTE: Try other 'stuffings' inside these fancy burgers. Great way to sneak veggies in as well! Try adding some diced mushrooms, green peppers, broccoli, carrot, etc -- aqnd use as much or as little cheese as you like --.
- Experiment! Try pizza sauce/ mozzarella.
- spaghetti sauce/parmesan.
- tomato soup/monterey jack.
- mushroom soup/smoked gouda.
- the possibilities are endless- Have fun!