Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe from Giada De Laurentiis's show Everyday Italian the "Pasta Potluck" episode. The only change from her recipe is that I cut it in half to make an 8x8 square dish and I re-titled it to reflect its not quite ordinary characteristics. I just love it and it is so easy. I hope you enjoy it too.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, for greasing baking dish
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus
- more salt, for pasta water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed Fontina cheese, divided (1/2 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 3⁄8 cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese, divided (1/4 cup and 1/8 cup)
- 3⁄8 cup packed grated mozzarella cheese, divided (1/4 cup and 1/8 cup)
- 2 ounces cooked ham, diced, optional (Note (I use a good baked ham from the deli, sliced thin, then I cut it in short thin strips)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat Oven to 450°F.
- Butter 8x8 square baking dish (set aside).
- Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, approximately 5 minutes.
- Drain well but DO NOT Rinse.
- Whisk the cream, milk, flour, salt, and pepper in a medium sized bowl to blend.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup each Parmesan and Mozzarella, ham, and parsley.
- Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Toss the remaining cheeses together to blend (that's 1/2 cup Fontina, 1/8 cup each Parmesan and Mozzarella).
- Sprinkle the cheese mix over the noodles.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, approximately 20 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.