Recipe by Pickles F
This takes a while to make, but it is scrumptious. I usually serve it for a special brunch or tea. Best when you can get the fruit in season. The seasonings are unusual but are what makes this salad truly special!! This salad was inspired by a fruit tray that I enjoyed at a restaurant in Mexico.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill (optional)
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (do not use cooking wine, use a sweet wine)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 whole cantaloupe
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 cups blueberries
- 4 cups grapes
- 5 cups whipped cream
- 2 cups toasted almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium sized pan melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar till it melts in with the butter.
- Mix salt, dill (optional--gives salad a unique flavor that not everyone will like), poppy seeds, and red pepper and add to sugar mixture.
- Mix lime juice, white wine, and vinegar and add to sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Cut up cantaloupe and bananas as desired and toss with coconut, blueberries, and grapes.
- Pour liquid mixture over fruit and stir.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with almonds.
- Chill and serve.