Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lamb is one of my favorite dishes. I tried experimenting with this last week and this is what I came up with.
- 4 lamb chops, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 -4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces frozen asparagus spears (or fresh if you prefer)
- Trim fat from meat, brown in butter and then remove from skillet.
- Add onion and garlic; cook till tender, do not brown.
- Return meat to skillet.
- Add curry powder, ground ginger, salt and tomatoes.
- Cover simmer 50 to 60 minutes,or until lamb chops are tender.
- Blend flour and water (I shake this in a jar until smooth). Add to meat mixture, cook until bubbly and then cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to fancy round casserole dish, form pinwheel of hot cooked asparagus on top.
- Serve with rice.
- This can be served with condiments such as sliced onions, shredded coconut, lemon slices, raisins, and peanuts.
Flavor of this sauce worked very well on Mirj's Persian Tahdeeg (Rice and Potatoes). The recommended 50-60 minutes simmering time was far from long enough to achieve tender chops, but had I cooked it any longer, I would have risked scorching (would have needed more liquid) and my family would have been getting frustrated with me at any further delay in serving up dinner. We were really busy that day and I had selected this recipe 'cause it required few dishes (a single pan) and didn't require my constant attention once it was assembled. I will consider trying this again, but will need to make some slight modifications to allow me to simmer it longer or pre-cook the lamb more prior to assembling it. Thank you for sharing this creation.