Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another one from IGA's booklet the Pleasures of Cheese. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.
- 3⁄4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup aged cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup your choice of chopped dried fruit (eg dried apricots, dried cranberries, raisins, etc)
- 3 tablespoons pecans (optional) or 3 tablespoons almonds (optional) or 3 tablespoons hazelnuts, etc. your choice of nuts (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Gradually beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Beat in flour, cheese, fruit and nuts until smooth.
- Shape dough into a roll, wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut roll into slices 1/4 inch thick. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper, place slices on cookie sheet and bake 8 - 12 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on rack.
- Variation 1: for fancy shaped cookies, on a floured surface, roll out chilled dough 1/4 inch thick and use your choice of cookie cutters
- Variation 2: instead of Aged Canadian Cheddar use Aged Gouda or Miranda.
- Note: it suggests that it can make for a good ice cream sandwich or with fresh fruit and sherbet.