Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is out of "Eat Caribbean". Coleslaw with cabbage and carrost is a Caribbean standard. Thsi version has the addition of shredded fresh coconut, pineapple and a spike of hot pepper; hot peppers are optional. Last 3 ingredients are for the dressing.
- 1 cup white cabbage, shredded, can use red cabbage
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut, fresh
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon de-seeded and minced scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise (use more or less accourding to your taste)
- To make the dressing ,mix the sugar and vinegar together and then add the mayonnaise and mix well.
- Toss all the ingredients together and chill before serving.
This was a nice spin on slaw! I used green onions and a seeded jalapeno. The combination of sweet and spicy were a hit. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Boy we loved this coleslaw! I used jalapeno pepper instead of scotch bonnet and left out the onions. We really loved the spicy pepper with the sweetness of the other ingredients. Thanks for sharing a great recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
Excellent coleslaw! The shredded coconut was wonderful in this along with the pineapple. I don't get fresh coconut here often, so I'll make this again as soon as I can get some again :)<br/>Made for ZWT 9 Family Picks for The Apron String Travelers