Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my newest thing to do. I am in love with this meal and all its variations. There is no way to eat just 1, every time I serve this people eat 2 or more. It's so fun to tell your company you're serving bacon cheeseburgers, and then put this down on their plates. Same taste different look!...
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) package breadsticks, such as Pillsbury
- 6 hamburger patties, precooked, and cooled (use your favorite hamburger recipe here, whatever you like! 1 pound should be enough as the patty )
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups gouda cheese or 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the bacon half way through, so it is still pliable.
- Unroll dough; separate into 6 (2-breadstick) portions. Seal seam halfway up length of each portion; place 1 strip of bacon of EACH breadstick.
- Place 1 hamburger patty in the center on top of the bacon.
- Holding dough and ball in one hand, stretch dough strips over balls, crisscrossing and tucking ends under opposite side; place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- While that bakes, make the cheese sauce.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk, cook until thicken, 2-3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the cheese in a figure-eight motion until melted, about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle cheese on top of the breadstick burgers, and voila!
- Italian: Use meatballs inside, use a mozzarella cheese, and add a little marinara sauce.
- Mexican: Layer chicken breasts in Mexican seasonings, add sautéed bell peppers and onions, and top with a Mexican blend of cheeses.
- Chicken Cordon Blue: inside layer a sautéed chicken breast, slice of ham, thyme, and top with Swiss cheese gravy.
- Southern: Use a barbecued pulled pork or beef, and top with the cheddar gravy, serve with extra barbecue sauce on the side.