Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love dessert pizza! I figured why not come up with my own? Something that's not too sweet and can even be halfway healthy, is exotic looking, and can be whipped up quickly for entertaining-- ie, looks impressive and complicated but isn't! I used Sun Crystals in the cheese mixture, and 2 of those Baker's semi-sweet chocolate squares for the topping. A 12" pizza pan is integral for this, a pie pan won't make it come out right because the dough needs to be very thin and crispy-- and best of all, requires NO rising! Prep time includes chill time which is approximate.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons honey (or sugar)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup raw milled sugar (or 1/8 cup Sun Crystals)
- 10 dried apricots, chopped into pieces (approx)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate (two 1-oz baking squares)
- 1⁄4 cup blanched slivered almond
- Proof the yeast in the warm water with the honey or sugar for 8-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the flours, oil, and salt and knead well, about 2-5 minutes.
- If the dough seems not elastic enough, dust your hands with some flour and knead again.
- Grease a pizza pan or pie pan with cooking spray, and roll the dough out onto it. I use a pizza roller for this to curl it up at the edges and make sure it's nice and flat and even in the middle.
- Poke holes in the dough with a fork and bake at 400F for 5 minutes.
- While it bakes, make the cheese mixture in a blender/food processor to give it a smooth consistency closer to ricotta cheese, and disperse the flavors. And cut the apricots, about 8-12 of them, into pieces. Also run your chocolate squares over a hand/box grater to get fine chocolate shavings.
- Extract the pizza pan from the oven and spread the cheese mixture evenly over it. Arrange the apricot pieces on the pizza evenly too.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese mixture has thickened up, at least 20 minutes.
- Move the pizza onto a wire cooling rack and refridgerate for at least 30-45 minutes.
- After it has cooled, add the chocolate shavings and almond slices.
- Cut into 8 standard slices, or cross-wise into several pieces to have as little hor d'oevres.