Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Crispy potatoes, sliced so that the buttery and crispy goodness gets inside... and so pretty, too! From Canadian Living May 2010 Issue.
- 6 white potatoes or 6 yellow potatoes, approx 2lb, peeled
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- Without cutting potatoes all the way through, cut 1/4" thick slices in potaotes.
- Blend together flour, salt, pepper and paprika; roll each potato in mixture. Place, uncut base down, in ovenproof dish or roasting pan. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with thyme.
- Bake in 375F (190C) oven until tender, fanned out, golden and crispy, about 1 1/4 hours. To serve, drizzle with any remaining browned butter in pan.
These were a big hit...you know it's a good thing when the butter-loving children don't ask for any on their potato. I did it slightly different, more by mistake than anything else - I mixed all the ingredients together and then rubbed the mixture all over each potato. As a result they had a nice crispy outer edge and were creamy inside. The potatoes I used were medium russets and they cooked perfectly in the amount of time specified. I'll definitely make these again, they were so easy and so popular around here!
I've always found baked potatoes rather blah. These are fab! they're like "modern" kicked up baked potatoes. I'll make them again for sure. A couple things. I found the smaller potatoes turned out better (and crispier). Try to get that spice mixture into all your little slices. It's worth the extra time. Used Earth Balance Vegan butter and Yukon Gold potatoes. These have such a great presentation! Thanks Katzen!
Using russets from our CSA box this was easy to make. I subbed a very small amount of Spanish smoked paprika for standard. After drizzling the butter on the potatoes, I dipped each one lightly in the remaining paprika/flour mixture. Went well with a pan grilled chicken recipe. Pretty presentation, too. Greek oregano replaced thyme because we don't like thyme. Thank you!