Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The Walper Hotel in Kitchener Ontario was famous for their cusine. It received many culinary awards. It was rated one of the top ten eating places in Canada. One dish that it was famous for is this spinach salad
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed,dried and stems removed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- salt, pepper & sugar to taste
- 6 slices bacon, cut in 1/2 inch squares
- Whisk together the cream,vinegar, onion, mustard, salt pepper& sugar.
- Just add enough sugar to give the dressing a light sweet sour taste.
- Just before serving the salad chop the spinach into bit size pieces.
- Fry The bacon until crisp, drain off fat and put the bacon on a paper towel Pour the dressing over the spinach top with the bacob& serve immediately.
Bergy well this hit the spot, I made the recipe as is and we ate it all ( we are pigs), it went wonderful with beef stroganoff and a a bowl of fruit. Another winner. thanks.
I only had a 170g package of baby spinach, so I halved this recipe. I thought it was a tad bland, but I think that's because I didn't have an amount to work with for the salt, pepper, and sugar. Could have used more of all 3. However, my husband had a triple serving (as did I), and my kids ate all theirs--very remarkable for such a healthy dish! So it's a keeper for me!