Recipe by Susie in Texas
On March 2, 2003 a prisoner escaped from the Newton County Correctional Facility. He eluded authorities for a week. While hiding in the woods, he helped himself to food and drinks he found in a refrigerator and freezer which were in a storage shed at the rear of a nearby residence. Shortly after the escapee was recaptured, it was discovered that the residence where he had been stealing food was the home of the police chief's father and step-mother. But it turns out that the prisoner who said that the cake was "the best he ever had" got to finish off the rest of the cake. The half eaten cake was sent to the county jail specifically for him. When a reporter asked him what he liked so much about the cake, the prisoner replied, "it was chocolate, my favorite". This is the recipe for the "spice cake" now known as Jailbreak Cake.
Top Review by TxBluebonnet
I made this cake for our church's rodeo concession stand this weekend. It sold like the proverbial "hot cakes". Everyone said this recipe needs to go in the next church cookbook. The only changes I made were to omit the pecans and I used a ready-made cream cheese frosting. The next time I make it (and there definitely will be a next time), I will let the cake cool before icing it. The icing tried to run off the edges and I had to scrape it up and put it back on top. I plan on making this for a church bake sale and will type up the story and attach to the cake. I think it will increase sales. Thanks for a terrific recipe.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda (dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water)
- 2 cups chopped pecans or 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1⁄2 bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all cake ingredients (except pecans) in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat at high speed for about 2 minutes.
- Stir pecans into cake mix.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until center tests done.
- Combine frosting ingredients and spread over still warm cake.