Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A family favorite in my house. Announce to anybody that I am making Taco Salad and the house is mysteriously full just about dinner time. Many childhood memories have been created over this time honored dish. May your family do the same. All ingredients are "guessed". This is a dish that you eyeball appropriate amounts.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn (good sized)
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded (1 block)
- 12 ounces ranch style beans, undrained (whole can)
- 4 ounces of sliced olives (small can)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (3 tomatoes)
- 12 ounces corn tortilla chips (1 bag)
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
- 12 ounces thousand island dressing
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- to taste avocado
- Brown and drain the ground beef. Set aside on a paper towel to continue draining and cooling.
- Dressing: Mix the can of undrained chili beans, the thousand island dressing and the taco seasoning in a bowl. Stir well and set it to the side. (Makes a mean dip for that open bag of tortilla chips you have sitting there! You are cooking dinner, you must be slightly hungry!)
- Obtain a LARGE bowl. In that bowl place the following: 1 head of torn lettuce, the shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes and olives.
- Put the hamburger on top of the salad mixings.
- Find a small child, or a small child at heart and place a slit in the chip bag to avoid a disastrous explosion. Have child smush chips to small pieces. I am sure that "smush" is a highly scientific culinary term! DO NOT MAKE CHIP POWDER, just small pieces. Dump the chips on top of the lettuce mixture.
- Pour the DRESSING on top of lettuce mixture.
- Mix well and enjoy. This is where you add the avocado if you are so inclined.
- Leftovers may be stored in airtight container in the fridge in order to create a congealed "taco salad mess" the next day. Not pretty but quite tasty.
Made for Spring PAC 2014 and I cut the recipe way down. On the can of ranch beans I had some leftover pinto beans that I had seasoned up in the freezer and used those and used a recipe on the site for the taco seasoning and other wise followed the recipe. Delicious.
Yummy we loved this will deff. make again and again. Made for Fall PAC 2007 really enjoyed Tina