Recipe by Not-2-Sweet
From "About.Com". Great for those who can't find American A-1 sauce. Did you know that Canadian A-1 is TOTALLY different from the American version even though the bottles look the same? I found this out while at a steak house in Toronto. The Canadian version is much sweeter and redder that the US version.
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard (no substitutes!)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half but not crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients into a small pan and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain into a bowl by pouring through a fine mesh strainer, pushing raisins with the back of a spoon to release all juices.
- Allow to cool completely before seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. It tastes different when its hot.
- Enjoy with your favorite steak!