Prep 5 mins
Cook 13 mins
Oatmeal cookies are my BF's favorite, so I've tried LOTS of different recipes. This is the BEST one!!! I found it online somewhere--these are sort of crunchy, not cakey at all, and not overly sweet. YUM!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening (or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together brown sugar, shortening, and granulated sugar; add water, eggs, and vanilla: beat well.
- Add combined oats, flour, salt, and baking soda: mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 11-13 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
I rarely bake anything but I had the ingredients on hand for this and tried it. Well I jus might be a "baker" now. These were good!! Just like real "homemade" Oatmeal Cookies. Thanks Melismak.
These cookies passed the 3 year old cookie fanatics taste test and will be added to my weekly cookie baking menu. Crunchy and great tasting. Thanks for the recipe!
A pretty good soft oatmeal cookie for those who don't care for raisins. It could use a little spice I think. Thanks for posting.