Recipe by grandma2969
instead of grated cheese, you can use cheddar cheese powder...You can also use food coloring gel if you desire...
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, fine grate
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- * for even crunchier cookies, use only 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 tsp unsalted butter.
- I also use cheddar cheese powder, but finely grated cheddar cheese works as well.
- In large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electic mixer on high speed till creamy.
- Add egg whites and honey, beat till smooth.
- Beat in food coloring, if desired,
- Combine flour, garlic powder and cheese. Beat into shortening mixture.
- Gather dough into a ball. Divide it in half -- then in fourths and so on until you have 36 piees.
- Flour your hands and roll pieces into balls.of get fancy and use pastry bag to shape cookies.I sometimes do this and get different shapes.grandchildren like to do this.
- Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, then use a floured fork to gently flatten them in a crisscross design.
- Sprinkle them with sesame seeds, or Baco's, (aritifically flavored bacon bits).if desired.
- Bake in a preheated 325* oven for about 10 minutes, till firm -- To make the cookies, crunchier, after baking we turned off the heat in the oven about 5 minutes, first running a spatula under each one so they wouldn't stick to the pan.