I got this recipe from my cousin who made it for our Christmas party this year. I don't usually like soups with rice in them but I could not believe how good this was! Don't forget the almonds, it's not the same without em! Note: The wild rice takes about 45 minutes to cook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (1/2 cup or 8oz dry)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed (white or yellow)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 16 cups chicken broth (1 gallon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (6oz)
- Heat 2 tbsp chicken fat or butter in a large sauté pan set over medium heat until hot.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add celery, carrot, onion, green pepper and red pepper.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Stir in corn, mushrooms and jalapeno.
- Cook until mushrooms begin to turn golden brown and shiny wet, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring broth to boil in an 8-quart stock pot.
- While broth is heating up, heat 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter in a skillet set over medium heat until hot; stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat 2 minutes stirring constantly — do not brown.
- Stir butter and flour mixture into broth. Simmer until slightly thickened, whisking to prevent lumps.
- Stir in cooked vegetables, parsley, salt, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, rice and whipping cream.
- Cook just until heated through.
- Serve topped with toasted almonds.
My husband and I really like this soup. Great flavor with just the right amount of kick. I didn't have any almonds, but next time I will definately add some.
I halved the recipe with great success. Actually, I didn't halve the veggies. I didn't use mushrooms because I don't like them. So I tossed in a few chopped scallions. This is a delicious MEAL. I weighed & measure the wild rice just out of curiosity: 1/2c = 3oz = 2c cooked. I will be making this recipe again!! Thanks, Pismo!