1/1 Photo of Famous Dave's Wild Rice Soup
I got this recipe from my cousin who made it for our Christmas party this year. I don't usually like soups with rice in them but I could not believe how good this was! Don't forget the almonds, it's not the same without em! Note: The wild rice takes about 45 minutes to cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (1/2 cup or 8oz dry)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed (white or yellow)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 16 cups chicken broth (1 gallon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (6oz)
- 1Heat 2 tbsp chicken fat or butter in a large sauté pan set over medium heat until hot.
- 2Increase heat to medium-high and add celery, carrot, onion, green pepper and red pepper.
- 3Cook until onion is tender.
- 4Stir in corn, mushrooms and jalapeno.
- 5Cook until mushrooms begin to turn golden brown and shiny wet, stirring frequently.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Bring broth to boil in an 8-quart stock pot.
- 8While broth is heating up, heat 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter in a skillet set over medium heat until hot; stir in flour.
- 9Cook over low heat 2 minutes stirring constantly — do not brown.
- 10Stir butter and flour mixture into broth. Simmer until slightly thickened, whisking to prevent lumps.
- 11Stir in cooked vegetables, parsley, salt, black pepper, white pepper, nutmeg and cayenne.
- 12Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- 13Add chicken, rice and whipping cream.
- 14Cook just until heated through.
- 15Serve topped with toasted almonds.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Famous Dave's Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.7
- Calories from Fat 388
- Total Fat 43.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 2029.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 36.0 g