48 hrs 45 mins
Cheri B's Note:
From his Backroads & Side Streets Cookbook.
My Private Note
Racks o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup garlic seasoning
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup lemon pepper
- 1/4 cup onion salt
- 1/4 cup celery salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed clove
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup salt
Ribs (use 1 cup of the above rub)
- 1Dave said 2 (4-5 pounds) racks of spareribs, just to make clear.
- 2Mix all ingredients, down to Ribs in airtight container.
- 3(Mrs Dash original blend zarr changes it to what you see above).
- 4Seal and set aside, (it will make 6 cups and you only need 1 cup).
- 5The night before smoking, trim off excess fat.
- 6Place in large plastic bag and pour in Italian dressing to coat.
- 7Seal bag well and chill 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- 8Remove and wipe off dressing.
- 9Sprinkle each rib with pepper, then 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the onion flakes,.
- 10NOTE: ingredient list said minced, instructions said flakes- you choose.
- 11Wrap each rib in plastic and refrigerate over night.
- 12The next morning remove from wrap and wipe sludge off ribs.
- 13Generously coat front and back of the ribs with 1 cup rib rub using your hands, rub seasoning into meat and set aside.
- 14The Smoking process will take 6 hours.
- 15Using a chimney charcoal starter get 15 briquetts red hot. Place coals on one end of the grill and place 1 pound of green hickory around coals. Using water-soaked hickory chunks if you can't get fresh cut hickory.
- 16Keep internal temperature of grill at 200-225°F Add more charcoal and hickory chunks every hour as needed.
- 17Place ribs bone side down but not directly over hot coals.
- 18After 3 hours, remove ribs from grill and wrap in aluminum foil.
- 19Hold in covered grill at 180-200°F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until fork tender.
- 20Next build a real hot bed of coals over the entire bottom of grill.
- 21Place ribs back on grill to add char flavor.
- 22When meat becomes bubbly it its done.
- 23Make sure to char off the bone side membrane until it becomes paper-y and disintegrates.
- 24Slather with BBQ sauce. let heat caramelize sauce.
- 25This caramelizing along with the charring and slow cooking is the secret to tender smokey ribs just like the Championship pitmasters used to do down in the Deep South.
- 26There are no short cuts to this time-honored way of barbecuing. Dave.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Famous Dave's Legendary Pit Barbecue Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 29815.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 171.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 147.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Mrs. Dash seasoning mix