Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's worth the effort
- 2 slices hickory smoked bacon (thick cut strips)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped vidalia onions or 1⁄3 cup other sweet onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup peach schnapps
- 1⁄2 cup baking raisins
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup aged alessi balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet apple
- 1⁄4 cup frozen tangerine juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup frozen pineapple concentrate
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon maggi seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Fry bacon in a large saucepan until crisp.
- Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Use the bacon for another purpose.
- Fry the onions in the reserve drippings on medium high heat until caramelized or dark golden brown.
- Don't burn.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Deglaze the saucepan with water.
- Stir in the Peach Schnapps, raisins, jalapeño and garlic.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the mixture is of a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and place the mixture in a blender with Balsamic vinegar, apple, tangerine juice concentrate, pineapple juice concentrate, molasses, apple cider vinegar, lemon and lime juice.
- Process until puréed and return to the saucepan.
- Add corn syrup, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, Maggi seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and cayenne.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a low boil, under medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Kahlúa and liquid smoke.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator.