1/13 Photos of Famous Barr's French Onion Soup
4 hrs 25 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
Bill Hilbrich's Note:
One of St. Louis's favorite soup recipes was recently printed in the Post-Dispatch. I remember going to St. Louis when I was young and my family going into the department store's restaurant for this famous soup. Enjoy! Famous-Barr's French Onion Soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs onions, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 (16 ounce) cans beef broth, divided (recommended Swanson's)
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (such as Wondra) or 3/4 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
- caramel coloring (optional) or Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- French baguette (optional)
- swiss cheese (optional) or gruyere cheese (optional)
- 1Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick, preferably in a food processor.
- 2Melt butter in a 6-quart (or larger) stockpot. Add onions; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3(The long cooking time makes the onions mellow and sweet.) Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; saute over low heat 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- 4Pour in 6 cans broth and wine. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- 5Dissolve flour in remaining 1 can broth.
- 6Stir into boiling soup.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- 8Adjust color to a rich brown with caramel coloring, season with salt. Refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top.
- 9If desired, pour into ovenproof crocks or bowls.
- 10Top with a slice of bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- 11Leftover soup can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Famous Barr's French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.7
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 1085.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g