Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An Apple a Day....This recipe was found in my morning mail. Posting this recipe for safe keeping and to share with all of you, Ray Guth’s Famous Applesauce. Ray is one of the original Marlboro men and has enjoyed a long and prestigious career as an award-winning actor in both movies and television.
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 2 lbs golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Combine apples, water and lemon juice in pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until mixture becomes thick, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash apples with potato masher.
- Stir in sugar and spices and cool. Refrigerate.
- Yield: 3 pints (6 cups) of awesome applesauce.
Although I cut the recipe in half, I enjoyed making this applesauce & plan to make it again as part of my holiday gifts this year ~ I especially liked the combo of granny smiths & delicious apples! When it came to the mashing, however, I did only part of them, wanting a more chunky sauce! THIS IS A GREAT-TASTING SAUCE & a keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Famous? theme in My-3-Chefs]