1/3 Photos of Famous 21 Club's Steak Diane
I have several recipes for Steak Diane, and this one is from the 21 Club. Cooks Notes: Use the best steak you can afford, from a good butcher.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces boneless shell steak or 16 ounces New York strip steaks or 16 ounces sirloin strip steaks or 16 ounces filet mignon
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 6 tablespoons cognac or 6 tablespoons other good brandy, divided
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (preferably imported)
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce or 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped chives
- 1Trim all outside fat off the steak. The steak should now weigh about 12 ounces.
- 2Cut the steak in half horizontally, creating 2 6-ounce steaks.
- 3Pound the steaks lightly to flatten them to 1/4-inch thick. Season them on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Heat a 12-inch skillet until a drop of water dances on the surface.
- 5Add 1 tablespoon of the butter. As soon as the foam subsides, add the seasoned meat.
- 6Cook on each side for 1 minute. Remove to a plate. Immediately adjust the heat under the pan to low.
- 7Add the second tablespoon of butter and the shallots. Sauté the shallots for 1 minute.
- 8Increase the heat to high. Add 3 tablespoons cognac and flambé, if desired.
- 9Add the wine, and with a wooden spoon, scrape up any browning in the pan (deg laze the pan). Stir in the mustard and A-1 sauce.
- 10Cook for about a minute, or until the liquid is reduced to a syrup. Add the broth and continue to boil for about a minute, until reduced to a few tablespoons.
- 11Add the cream and stir well to incorporate. Boil a few seconds.
- 12Taste for seasoning and add freshly ground pepper to taste. Add the remaining cognac and ignite. When the flames die down, stir in the chives, taste for salt and pepper, and adjust if necessary.
- 13Add the reserved steaks and their juices (that have accumulated on the plate) to the simmering sauce.
- 14Turn the steaks in the sauce a couple of times, as the sauce reduces a little more. Place the steaks on individual plates.
- 15Divide the sauce on the steaks. Serve with mashed potatoes or brown rice, and some bread to mop up the sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Famous 21 Club's Steak Diane
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.6
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 289.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
A.1. Original Sauce