Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This version is somewhat lower in fat than many macaroni & cheese recipes, but still just as tasty.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, melt remaining butter over low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt & pepper and remove pan from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Spoon onto serving plates, sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs, and serve.
- You can also pour this into a casserole dish, top with the breadcrumbs, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I always prefer baked macaroni and cheese!