I absolutely loved this as a child and still do! Very easy to make.
Make and share this Family Spoon Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Heat 2 cups of the milk to boiling point.
- Add the meal slowly, stirring until thick.
- Remove from heat and slowly add to the beaten eggs.
- Add the butter and remaining milk.
- Sprinkle baking powder and salt on top and stir.
- Bake in a greased casserole dish for 55 minutes at 350°F.
- When done, it should still be soft enough in the center that you need to serve it with a spoon, but brown on the outside edges.
A very comforting side dish! This nice creamy bread is a wonderful side to a down home meal. Made half recipe as written baking in a small casserole dish with a bake time of 30 minutes which was perfect as the edges were nice and golden while the center was still soft to the touch, it spooned up very nicely. Thanks so much for the post.
I have never had spoon bread before but I will definitely be having it again after having this! I made 1/4 of the recipe, using 1 egg. I had to bake it for about 40 minutes. So tasty! Another reviewer commented that this was too salty but I didn't notice the salt at all. Maybe they measured incorrectly? I'm not sure what this would traditionally be served with but I think it would be a nice side with chicken. Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks sofie-a-toast! :)
I absolutely DETEST spoon bread, but I made this for my clients/patients, and they just LOVED it. I took a taste and it was very good. They asked for it often (like all the time), so I am rating this according to what they said about it, and they thought it was one of the best they had ever tasted.