1/1 Photo of Family Sized Chicken Pot Pie
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe originally appeared in Parade magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 3 carrots, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup peeled and diced russet potato (1/2-inch)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 sheet prepared puff pastry, thawed if frozen (1/2 pound)
- 1Heat the oil and butter in a pot over low heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the flour and tarragon; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- 2Add the carrots, potatoes, apple, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, dill, and chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper, then cook 5 minutes more.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 4Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart round ovenproof casserole. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry out to form a circle 2 inches larger than the casserole. Lay the pastry over the top, trim the overhang to 1 inch, and crimp the edges around the rim to seal. Cut several slits in the pastry to release the steam, then brush with remaining egg wash. Bake until crust is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Sized Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.3
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 48.8 mg
- Sodium 514.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 21.7 g