Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Family-Size Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 12 ounces small red potatoes, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces baby carrots (about 2 cups)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) canpillsbury refrigerated garlic breadsticks
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray bottom only of 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat chicken, potatoes, carrots, and broth to boiling over med-high heat.
- Cover, simmer 18 minutes; add in asparagus; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Using slotted spoon, remove potatoes, carrots and asparagus to colander to drain.
- Check doneness of chicken, if juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut, remove to cutting board.
- Measure and reserve 2 cups broth for sauce; discard any remaining broth.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven; cover.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, tear into large shreds; place chicken in Dutch oven.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion in butter 2 minutes.
- Using wire whisk, stir in flour and seasoned salt.
- Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until flour bubbles (do not let flour turn brown).
- Gradually stir in 2 cups reserved broth; heat to boiling; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Decrease heat to low; stir in whipping cream; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Stir in rosemary; pour sauce over vegetables and chicken.
- Spread in baking dish; sprinkle with mushrooms.
- Separate dough into 8 strips.
- Twist and place 3 strips of dough lengthwise over mixture in baking dish.
- To create lattice pattern, fold each of the remaining 5 dough strips in half, twist and gently stretch; place crosswise over strips in dish.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave the remaining 2 tablespoons butter uncovered on HIGH for 5 seconds or until melted.
- Lightly brush butter over strips.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- If necessary, loosely cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning.