Prep 23 mins
Cook 32 mins
heres another way my family made this dough that the whole rez enjoys from us:)
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 cup water (60 F)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
For the dough
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (80-90 F)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dry italian seasoning mixed herbs
- 3 cups bread flour (start with 2 1/2 cups and add if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for brushing top of dough)
- coarse salt
- Stir biga to deflate. Add warm water, salt, herb mix, and enough flour so that dough pulls away from bowl when stirred. Knead 10 minutes on a floured surface (5 minutes in a machine) until smooth.
- Place dough in lightly floured bowl and dust dough with flour. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (about 1 to 2 hours) in a warm place. Cut risen dough in half. Gently shape each piece into a ball and dust with flour. Cover with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Place a ball of dough on floured surface and gently shape by flattening and stretching into a round. Don't overwork or it will lose its rise. Lay stretched-out dough on a floured peel and gently poke with fingers to dimple the dough surface. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake in preheated 450° F oven directly on the pizza stone for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (Take a peek at 5 minutes and pop/deflate any bubbles that may have formed.) Remove and place on a wire rack.
- Cut in wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with dipping plates of extra-virgin olive oil (3 Tbsp.) and balsamic vinegar (1 tsp.).