Chef Otaktay's Note:
I know there gonna get mad at me for this one but I hope everyone enjoys the special family recipe to our pizza dough:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare mashed potatoes by boiling peeled/quartered potatoes until tender (approx. 20 minutes) and mashing with 2 tablespoons milk.
- 2Prepare dough sponge and proof yeast by mixing yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water with 1/2 teaspoons honey dissolved in the water in a bowl and letting stand for 20 minutes until mixture is foamy. (Throw out and start over with fresher yeast if not foamy.).
- 3Mix 1/2 of remaining flour with herb mix, salt, remaining water with remaining honey dissolved in it, olive oil, dough sponge, and mashed potatoes. Mix in remaining flour (dough should only be slightly sticky). Knead 15 minutes on a floured surface (10 minutes in a machine) until smooth.
- 4Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) in a warm place. *Punch dough down and divide in half. Put dough halves in greased 9-inch cake pans and spread over bottom. Cover with towel and let rise until doubled.
- 5Dimple the dough surface with fingers. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil** and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake in preheated 400°F oven with pans directly on the pizza stone for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans and place on a wire rack.
- 6Cut in wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with dipping plates of extra-virgin olive oil (3 Tbsp) and balsamic vinegar (1 tsp).
- 7Focaccia Tips: Let dough rise until it falls (approx. double the time) and knead in extra flour. This technique improves the texture and flavor of the focaccia. Substitute other toppings such as a herbed garlic oil, sun-dried tomatoes, Greek olives and walnuts, etc. Add fresh herbs only after baking.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Secret Pizza Dough Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (1195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.6
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.2 mg
- Sodium 1515.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 168.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 22.7 g