Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I was growing up, mom always dragged us to the family reunions. I always looked forward to the baked macaroni and cheese the ladies would bring. I always tried them all! This is the first time I have attempted to make home-made baked macaroni and cheese. I combined a few recipes and came up with this one. It is creamy with a crispy topping.
- 453.59 g macaroni (your favorite, I used shells)
- 1419.54 ml cheese (shredded, your choice, I used a combination of cheddar and colby)
- 1182.95 ml milk (I used whole)
- 118.32 ml butter
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml dry mustard
- 118.29 ml flour
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- Cook pasta, only al-dente. You will be cooking it in the oven, so you don't want to overcook it. Rinse with cool water and drain well. Return to pan with a little butter to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt 6 Tbs. butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add flour, salt, black pepper, dry mustard, and paprika. Stir constantly for 3 minutes. Add milk, whisking constantly for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly stir into your beaten egg to temper the egg. Add the egg mixture to the sauce.
- Add 4 cups of the shredded cheese to the sauce, return pan to heat, stirring until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over pasta.
- Pour 1/2 of the pasta into a 9 X 13 casserole dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the remaining shredded cheese. Repeat with the remaining pasta and cheese.
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter and combine with your bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top is bubbly and starting to brown.