- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 5 large white onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (14 -16 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms
- 5 whole sweet gherkins, chopped rough
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz Chili Sauce (or regular ketchup)
- 2 quarts vegetable broth, made from 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- heavy cream
- Sauté ground beef and pork and onions with olive oil in a soup pot until brown.
- Add sauerkraut and mushrooms (with their liquids) and pickles; stir together with the meat.
- Add entire bottle of sauce or ketchup and the vegetable broth.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add heavy cream and cook for 1 more minute, then serve.