Recipe by Mommy Diva
This is the recipe my Mom and I have made for years. I don't know where it originally came from, just that everyone seems to love it- I did growing up - and now my whole family does (always a plus to find a quick meal that my kids like that my hubby and I can enjoy eating too!!) Easy to round out with a green salad or veggie and roll or bread on the side. I have made this in a pinch for friends and they always rave thinking it took more time than it did to prepare. ;) Mushrooms are a great addition, simply add them in when adding the onions. I also like to stir in sautéed asparagus sometimes or frozen peas. ;)
Top Review by IngridH
This was very good. I added mushrooms, and served over rice. I added a bit more paprika than called for, which made the sauce a bit richer as well as darker red. I think this would also be good with smoked paprika, I may have to try that next time.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped (walla walla or vidalia preferred)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika, more to taste
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white wine, whatever available
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (more if needed to achieve desired thickness)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water, to mix starch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder (I use minced frequently, but will cause chunkier gravy)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube chicken into 1-2 inch chunks- as desired.
- In a deep skillet, brown chicken breasts with oil, garlic and pepper.
- Once cooked, add onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring lightly.
- Add paprika (at least 2 tbsp -more to taste) and the chicken broth.
- Bring to a rolling bubble, add wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a cup on the side, mix cold water and cornstarch completely.
- Spoon mixture into simmering chicken, stirring until desired thickness is achieved.
- Cook for at least 5 more minutes to cook out the starch taste.
- When ready to serve, remove from heat and stir in the sour cream, enough to achieve the creaminess desired.
- Serve over your favorite pasta(egg noodles, cavatappi, penne), mashed potatoes or rice.
- Enjoy! ;).