Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my sister-in-law's mac and cheese recipe. This is one of her "signature" dishes that she has at family gatherings.
- 4 cups macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese
- breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook macaroni as directed on package (approx 10 minutes).
- In a seperate skillet, melt the butter and blend in the flour, salt, and pepper. Heat until bubbly and brown.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- In a large baking dish, alternate layers of macaroni and cheese.
- Cover with sauce.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top (optional).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Variation: Use a combination of Velveeta and other cheese. Also, try topping with additional cheese for an extra cheesy kick!
I made the recipe for one cup macaroni. I added some sirachi sauce to the sauce, and then a tomato diced in the layers. Worked out very well, I did stir once while baking so I would have a few more crispy brown bits. Will make this again.
Made for Zaar Alphabet Tag game...delicious! Definately a keeper! I mixed the velveeta into the sauce and followed the rest of the ingredients. Thank you!
This was good and child-approved. I had spots with no cheese throughout the dish so ended up stirring the casserole to get even coverage. I will add a bit more cheese next time also. Reviewed for ZWT4.