Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the one recipe that everyone can agree on! It features raw egg whites, so make substitutions with pasteurized product -or like me- get chickens in your backyard and use their eggs! :)
- 1⁄4 ounce gelatin, unflavored ENVELOPE
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 9 inches pie shells, prepared (baked or ready)
- In a saucepan, combine gelatin, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, milk, water, egg yolks and pumpkin. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill.
- When ready to assemble, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in granulated sugar. Fold pumpkin mixture gently into egg-white mixture.
- Turn into pie shell and chill until firm.