1/1 Photo of Family-Friendly Shepherd's Pie
1 hr 30 mins
John J. O'Sullivan?'s Note:
I saw this recipe in Cookie magazine...it's wonderful. I use buffalo meat and it comes out great. This is comfort food at its finest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb (or substitute half with another ground meat)
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk (any fat content)
- kosher salt
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.
- 4Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- 5Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- 6Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- 7Spread them over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.
- 8Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family-Friendly Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.2
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 88.6 mg
- Sodium 218.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 18.4 g