Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this recipe in Cookie magazine...it's wonderful. I use buffalo meat and it comes out great. This is comfort food at its finest.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb (or substitute half with another ground meat)
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk (any fat content)
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.
- Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- Spread them over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
I used two pounds of buffalo meat since the grocer didn't carry lamb and I'm a carnivore. More meat equals more spices needed. Absolutely delicious! Thanks for posting!
This was easy to put together and tasty. I will make again, but will add more meat.
Excellent dish! Apart from using lean ground beef, I followed the recipe to the letter. Very good comfort food. Thanks for posting it. Papa_D