Recipe by mccu
Great chili for the whole family including kids. Not too spicy and has the right amount of beans. Also "hides" a lot of veggies. Add more chili powder to make it more spicy. This is a big recipe, so great to make ahead and freeze for future meals
Top Review by rayla157
I cut the amount of Chili powder in half. Used crushed tomatoes instead of diced and substituted a 1/4 cup of Pacific creamy tomato soup for the tomato soup. Perfect for my 5 yr old!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Place a large pot over med-high heat.
- 2. Cook meat until browned, drain in a colander and put aside.
- 3. In same pot, sautee the onion in the oil for 3-4 minute.
- 4. Add garlic, celery, green peppers and zucchini and sautee for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Mix the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and onion powder together.
- 6. Add the spice mix to the veggies and stir to combine well.
- 7. Add the meat back into the pot and stir.
- 8. Add the remaining ingredients (kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar). Still to combine.
- 9. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.