Prep 25 mins
Cook 11 hrs
From the September 2004 edition of Betty Crocker Magazine. "Simple Slow Cooker Meals".
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 6 medium potatoes, cut int 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups baby carrots
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 5 ounces)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can broth
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) caneight-vegetable vegetable juice (2/3 Cup)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. If beef roast comes in netting or is tied, do not remove. Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Place pototatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery and onion in 4-to 5-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Place beef on vegetables. Pour tomatoes, consomme and vegetable juice over beef.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove beef and vegetables from cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving platter and cover to keep warm. Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired. Remove 1/2 cup of the juices rom cooker; mix with flour in small bowl, using wire whisk, until smooth. Gradually stir flour mixture into remaining juices in cooker. Increase heat setting to high. Cover and cook about 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove netting or strings from beef. Serve sauce with beef and vegetables.
Now my family favorite also!! I use eye-of-round because of the fat levels but also because of that my roasts are usually tough, dry and not much taste. This recipe came out beautifully tender, moist and flavorful. The only other change I did was to omit the salt (enough in the canned tomatoes, broth and V-8 juice. Thank You so much for this keeper!