Recipe by The Frugal Cheflady
After trying a recipe called "Cream of Wheat with Egg and Vanilla", I thought why not try it with oatmeal? It was a big hit, and I never make oatmeal any other way now. I love getting extra protein in the kids in the morning. Use certified gluten free oats to make this officially gluten free. ***It is virtually impossible to not end up with little white bits of egg, but beating the egg very well helps reduce the size and amount of egg bits. Beat the egg as you normally would, then beat it a little longer***
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rolled gluten-free oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sucanat (to taste) or 2 tablespoons sugar, of your choice (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In sauce pan, bring water to boil. Add oats and reduce heat to prevent boil-over. Cook on medium heat about five minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed and oats are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg well and whisk in sucanat and vanilla.
- When oats are almost done cooking, remove about one cup of oatmeal and add it to egg mixture, stirring well.
- Add oats and egg mixture back into pan and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add sea salt and coconut oil, stir well.
- Serve with fruit if desired (very delicious with fresh blueberries and a drizzle of real maple syrup) or other toppings.