1/5 Photos of Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home publication awhile back. I had written it out and stuck it in my 'to try' binder. A few months ago I made it for the first time... it's now my absolute favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe! (with it tweaked for my own tastes). Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter (I use margarine) or 1/4 cup margarine (I use margarine)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard (I use a squirt of yellow mustard)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/8 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package.
- 3While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat.
- 4Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- 5Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Stir in milk.
- 8Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- 9Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- 10Stir in cheese.
- 11Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- 12Drain macaroni when done. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce and pour into ungreased 2 quart baking dish.
- 13Mix together bread crumbs and parmesan cheese; sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- 14Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.3
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.2 mg
- Sodium 597.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 17.9 g