Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a Taste of Home publication awhile back. I had written it out and stuck it in my 'to try' binder. A few months ago I made it for the first time... it's now my absolute favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe! (with it tweaked for my own tastes). Enjoy!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter (I use margarine) or 1⁄4 cup margarine (I use margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard (I use a squirt of yellow mustard)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1⁄8 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in cheese.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni when done. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce and pour into ungreased 2 quart baking dish.
- Mix together bread crumbs and parmesan cheese; sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
This was tremendous!! I like to make Mac and Cheese because it's certainly something that my kids enjoy eating, however, I always find it so bland. This wasn't! It was great!! I made a double recipe and quadrupled both the mustard (I used prepared) and the Worcestershire sauce!! AMAZING! This is going to be the recipe that I use from now on. Thanks for posting!! YUM!
I gave this 4 stars because I made it for my 13 month old son (made a double batch). Unlike other Mac & Cheese recipies I tried, he gobbled this one up. I personally found it rather bland. My wife seemed to like it. I doubled the recipe. It took about 40 minutes to cook. The only ingredient I didn't have/add was mustard because I only have honey mustard at the moment. Come to think of it, honey mustard may have been a good addition because it could have been a bit sweeter for my tastes. But, again, it was a success because my little guy loved it with a side of brocolli ;)
I made this for my 2 year old, we topped it with crushed goldfish crackers instead of the breadcrumbs. Very good, will keep this recipe for sure!