1/3 Photos of Family Favorite King Ranch Chicken Casserole
1 hr 45 mins
There are all kinds of King Ranch chicken recipes out there, but this one is the ''BEST OF THE BEST" in my house. This is truly a scrumptious dish and your family and friends will love you for it. It does take some preparation time, but it's worth the time and effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 carrots, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 1/2-3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (see note)
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 (6 inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken.
- 2Place chicken, celery, carrots, and salt in a large Dutch oven with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; cool 30 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Strain any remaining cooking liquid, and reserve for another use.
- 3Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- 4Skin and bone chicken; shred meat into bite-size pieces. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 5Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. You'll want to make extra because it truly is even better the next day.
- 6Chili Powder Note: 1 teaspoons chili powder and 1/8 teaspoons ground red pepper.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Favorite King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.1
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 175.4 mg
- Sodium 1988.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 43.5 g