Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are all kinds of King Ranch chicken recipes out there, but this one is the ''BEST OF THE BEST" in my house. This is truly a scrumptious dish and your family and friends will love you for it. It does take some preparation time, but it's worth the time and effort.
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 carrots, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 1⁄2-3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (see note)
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 (6 inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken.
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, and salt in a large Dutch oven with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; cool 30 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Strain any remaining cooking liquid, and reserve for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- Skin and bone chicken; shred meat into bite-size pieces. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. You'll want to make extra because it truly is even better the next day.
- Chili Powder Note: 1 teaspoons chili powder and 1/8 teaspoons ground red pepper.
Wonderful casserole. I made half a recipe but roasted by chicken breasts in the oven, and made fresh tortillas to use. Then proceeded with the recipe using 1 can of cream of chicken. DH loved it and I'm sure we will have it many times again.
W O W ! This was delicious and definitely a keeper. If I could rate it higher, I would! Iâ€™ve been looking for recipes that I can use rotisserie chicken to cut down on my prep time. This one suites my quest. When my grocery store puts rotisserie chickens on sale, I purchase several of them at a time and pop them into my freezer. We loved the corn tortillas and the next time I will use more of them as there is more than enough sauce to accommodate them. I didnâ€™t have all cheddar cheese, so I used a blend of cheddar and quesadilla cheese. The leftovers were great for lunch the next day. All my office coworkers wanted the recipe.
of the many i've tried, this version is the very best. i do sub chicken breasts for the whole chicken, and use more cheese. otherwise, this is the perfect recipe. even better the next day, if there's any left.