Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are all kinds of King Ranch chicken recipes out there, but this one is the ''BEST OF THE BEST" in my house. This is truly a scrumptious dish and your family and friends will love you for it. It does take some preparation time, but it's worth the time and effort.
- 1 (4 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 carrots, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 1⁄2-3 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (see note)
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 (6 inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken.
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, and salt in a large Dutch oven with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; cool 30 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Strain any remaining cooking liquid, and reserve for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- Skin and bone chicken; shred meat into bite-size pieces. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. You'll want to make extra because it truly is even better the next day.
- Chili Powder Note: 1 teaspoons chili powder and 1/8 teaspoons ground red pepper.
This is my very favorite king ranch casserole. I use rotisserie chicken.
Wonderful casserole. I made half a recipe but roasted by chicken breasts in the oven, and made fresh tortillas to use. Then proceeded with the recipe using 1 can of cream of chicken. DH loved it and I'm sure we will have it many times again.
W O W ! This was delicious and definitely a keeper. If I could rate it higher, I would! Iâ€™ve been looking for recipes that I can use rotisserie chicken to cut down on my prep time. This one suites my quest. When my grocery store puts rotisserie chickens on sale, I purchase several of them at a time and pop them into my freezer. We loved the corn tortillas and the next time I will use more of them as there is more than enough sauce to accommodate them. I didnâ€™t have all cheddar cheese, so I used a blend of cheddar and quesadilla cheese. The leftovers were great for lunch the next day. All my office coworkers wanted the recipe.