Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had some leftover fish I wanted to use up but didn't have the ingredients to make any of the fish cake recipes listed in 'zaar, so I combined a few of them to make these cakes. The family loved them and urged me to write down how I did it so I could serve them again, so here it is!
- NOTE: Kaffir lime leaves add a lovely lime flavor to the mix. If you can't get them, substitute any other leafy herb that you like but add it at the end of the processing so it stays in pieces and doesn't get pureed. Lime leaves are tough enough to add at the beginning.
- Poke the whole potatoes in several places to vent steam.
- Steam or microwave the whole potatoes with skin on until fully cooked, cut into chunks and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Cut the fish into chunks and put in food processor.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor except the oil.
- Process just until mixed but not pureed.
- Heat the oil to a medium-high frying heat.
- Drop the fish mixture into the oil by large spoonfuls, pressing the mixture together between your hand and the spoon to keep it from falling apart in the oil.
- Fry until it is a medium brown all over, turning as necessary.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.