Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Found this recipe many years ago in my very first Crockery Cookery Cookbook. If you like meatloaf either hot or for cold sandwiches this has a real nice flavor especially with sweet sauce on the top!
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine eggs with milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, and sage, and meat.
- Mix well and shape into a 9x5 inches.
- rectangle or oval.
- Carefully place into slow cooker pot.
- Cook on low for about 6-7 hours.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat loaf and cook on high for about 15 minutes.
This was a very moist and delicious meatloaf. Added pepper and chopped green pepper to it. I trick I learned a long time ago when cooking a meatloaf in the crockpot is to make five strips of aluminum foil and criss-cross them in the crockpot with strips going up the sides. Place the meatloaf onto of aluminum foil. When the meat is done, you can lift it out easily.
Good, basic meatloaf. My trick to keeping a crockpot meatloaf from becoming greasy on the bottom is to place two or three slices of bread in the crockpot first, and place the meatloaf on top of them. It makes it easier to lift out, and the bread absorbs the excess grease.
Great meatloaf!!! I didn't have a chance to use the topping this time, but I will next time. LOVE, love, love the idea of making it in the crockpot! I used 2 strips of heavy duty foil I placed in the crockpot before the meatloaf to help get it out in one piece (it worked!!) I did use season salt instead of regular and added some garlic as my family LOVES garlic. The leftovers slice wonderfully for sandwiches. This is surely going to be repeated!