Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe several years ago at the service meat counter in our local supermarket and tweeked it a little. I also call it 'Really Good Chili That's a Whole Lotta Work' but my guys love it so what can I do? It can be 1/2 diced beef and 1/2 ground beef but we like it all diced. It's pretty mild so add more chili powder and chopped chilis if you like it hot. I also use trimmed stew beef instead of a roast, costs a bit more but its quicker to cut up. Prep time includes browning the beef and onions. It's good left over also.
- 3 lbs boneless bottom round roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; add the beef in small batches and brown till no longer pink, 3-5 minutes per batch; set beef aside after browning.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic to the pan; cook for 3-5 minutes or till translucent.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir in the cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, and tomatoes.
- Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the chilies and beans. Cook an additional hour.
Delicious!! We really enjoyed this mildly spicy, flavorful chili. It goes together quickly and easily with ingredients I usually have on hand. I used 2 lbs. stew meat and only 2 onions because the ones I used were very large. I added some black pepper, and used 2 cans of chopped green chiles. I served this with cornbread, and topped the chili with chopped red onion, chopped tomato, sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper! *Made for 2010 Spring PAC*
Found it yesterday and its almost on the stove. I needed something to make with the bottom round and this sounded good.