I found this recipe several years ago at the service meat counter in our local supermarket and tweeked it a little. I also call it 'Really Good Chili That's a Whole Lotta Work' but my guys love it so what can I do? It can be 1/2 diced beef and 1/2 ground beef but we like it all diced. It's pretty mild so add more chili powder and chopped chilis if you like it hot. I also use trimmed stew beef instead of a roast, costs a bit more but its quicker to cut up. Prep time includes browning the beef and onions. It's good left over also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless bottom round roast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat; add the beef in small batches and brown till no longer pink, 3-5 minutes per batch; set beef aside after browning.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic to the pan; cook for 3-5 minutes or till translucent.
- 3Return the beef to the pan and stir in the cumin, oregano, sugar, salt, and tomatoes.
- 4Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- 5Add the chilies and beans. Cook an additional hour.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Favorite Chili
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.3
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 87.0 mg
- Sodium 504.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 34.1 g