I've had this enchilada recipe for ages, it was passed down to me from my mother and is always a popular dish around my house. My husbands favorite casserole! :) Hope you enjoy as much as we do. A few notes: Sometimes I leave off the 2 cups of shredded chicken, and it is still yummy as can be. I usually double the green chiles and use "healthy request" soup and reduced fat sour cream. Also, we prefer corn tortillas in this dish, but use whatever you like. ENJOY!
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (also good using 1 can each cr. of chicken & nacho cheese soup)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 dozen corn tortilla (medium)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (tops included)
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make sauce, combine soup (not diluted), chicken, green chiles, green onions & salt in a medium saucepan; heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and cheese; mix well.
- In a medium to large skillet, heat several tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Dip a tortilla into the hot oil to soften. Remove tortilla to a plate. Spread @ 2 heaping tablespoons sauce across center of tortilla, and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Continue with rest of tortillas, adding additional oil to the skillet as necessary.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Sliced black olives are good, too.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly .
- Makes 4 to 6 servings. Good with a side of refried beans and some fresh guacamole or avocado slices.