Recipe by BecR
I've had this enchilada recipe for ages, it was passed down to me from my mother and is always a popular dish around my house. My husbands favorite casserole! :) Hope you enjoy as much as we do. A few notes: Sometimes I leave off the 2 cups of shredded chicken, and it is still yummy as can be. I usually double the green chiles and use "healthy request" soup and reduced fat sour cream. Also, we prefer corn tortillas in this dish, but use whatever you like. ENJOY!
Top Review by Red Apple Guy
I cooked this in a crock pot, layering the ingredients instead of rolling in the tortillas. I'm sure I used fewer tortillas (8-10). But, this was terrific. Everyone loved it.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (also good using 1 can each cr. of chicken & nacho cheese soup)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 dozen corn tortilla (medium)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (tops included)
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make sauce, combine soup (not diluted), chicken, green chiles, green onions & salt in a medium saucepan; heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and cheese; mix well.
- In a medium to large skillet, heat several tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Dip a tortilla into the hot oil to soften. Remove tortilla to a plate. Spread @ 2 heaping tablespoons sauce across center of tortilla, and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Continue with rest of tortillas, adding additional oil to the skillet as necessary.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired. Sliced black olives are good, too.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly .
- Makes 4 to 6 servings. Good with a side of refried beans and some fresh guacamole or avocado slices.