Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a hit in my household, specially when someone has the cold or the flu. It tastes like it takes all day to make it thanks to the store-bought frozen homemade noodles and a pre-cooked herb flavored rotisserie chicken! Try it, I guarantee you'll like it. It is basic, yet so comforting an on the table in 1 hour. P.S. We also top it off with more black pepper and parmesan cheese. And I sometimes throw in some green beans too.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (32 ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces homestyle noodles (from the freezer section, I use Reames)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning (I use Spike)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 of a rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat only (I keep the chunks big)
- In a large saucepot, saute carrots, celery and onion in the butter for 2 minutes over med-high heat.
- Add broth, garlic and bay leaf, give it a stir, put the lid on the pot and crank up the heat to high until it start boiling.
- When boiling, remove lid an drop in the noodles. Give it a good stir and leave the lid off.
- Boil on med-high for 25 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, remove the (pre-cooked) chicken meat from the bones and set aside.
- After 25 minutes, turn down the heat to low.
- Add the peas, seasonings and chicken.
- Stir and let it cook on low for 15 minutes.
Yummy. Just made it. Great way to use up chicken. Quick and delicious.
Good soup. Followed ingredients as is except I didn't know what all purpose seasoning is so I used Emeril's Essence. For the chicken I used recipe #234465 (costs about half the cost of purchasing a rotisserie chicken). Also, in the directions it doesn't say when to add the garlic and I almost missed that step - just added it with the chicken but next time I'll saute it with the veggies. Overall, easy and yummy.
Awesome recipe! I changed it a little and only added 2 large garlic cloves and added another bag of noodles cause one wasn't quite enough for me. Next time I won't use as much pepper either..for some reason I could taste it really well...could just be my tounge tho.