Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The original version of this recipe came from Taste of Home, though I have modified it slightly. I chose it originally because no water bath was required. This was the first cheesecake I ever made and it's the one I make most. Friends and family request if often and I've even been known to pack along my springform pan on trips to family functions so I can make it away from home. The top will crack, but much of it will seal during cooling. The topping will cover it all, so the cracks don't really matter at all! Two things to note- #1 This is a big cheescake! You'll need a 10" springform. #2 Because the egg whites are whipped and then folded in, this cheescake is more "italian-style" with a wonderful, light, creamy texture, not dense and heavy like the NY version. Enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg, whole
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter bottom and sides of 10" springform pan.
- First four ingredients are for the crust. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter in medium bowl to combine.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom of greased pan and 1/2 way up the sides.
- Bake 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
- Decrease oven temp to 325.
- Next five ingredients are for the filling. In medium bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- In large bowl mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add whole egg and egg yolks one at a time, mixing just until combined.
- Fold whipped egg whites into cream cheese mixture.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake 1 hour or until center is almost set. Shouldn't be too jiggly or moist-looking.
- Remove to wire rack, cool 10 minutes. Run sharp knife around edge to loosen. Cool at least 2 hours longer before adding topping.
- Last four ingredients are for the topping. Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread over cheesecake.
- Refrigerate at least 3-4 hours.