Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Really easy and inexpensive dinner that the entire family enjoys. Even my picky four year old! This recipe is a mixture of many other recipes I have tried in the past. I have also used red cabbage at the end, and found it tasty for the adults, the children weren't terribly impressed with that addition though. Edit*** I have used this recently after trying new experiments and this recipe needs something I think. Something savory, maybe a couple anchovies? I do not know, but please experiment! I am also cutting the V8 to 2 cups as the 3 cups in the slow cooker seems to be too watery.
- 1 lb stew beef chunk, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3 cups vegetable juice (tomato based)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium carrots, cut in thick slices
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed, relatively same size as carrot pieces
- salt and pepper
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot.
- Toss beef with flour, shake off excess. Sauté beef in hot oil, optional step but recommended.
- Place beef on top of vegetables Mix juice, onion soup mix, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce; pour on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook on high 20-30 minutes.
- (This is a good time to clean up, or get ready for your day).
- Finish cooking on low for 8 hours.
- Mix in salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Everyone in my family and a couple of my neighbors tried and loved this beef stew. I used dehydrated onion in place of the onion soup mix and soy sauce replaced the worchestershire. I have never liked V8 Juice until I tried this recipe. Just the right amount of veggie taste was added!!! I procrastinated too long in the day and resorted to cooking on the stovetop which was about an hour and a half of simmering to tenderness.
Easy and quick to make on a stove top! Just let it simmer til the veggies are done. Great recipe for when there's not a lot of time to be messing around the kitchen. The kids like my recipe for beef stew, but like this one better. Get the beef stew chunks while they're on sale and it's inexpensive too!
this is good very close to my own recipe. i serve with crackling cornbread.