Recipe by Jennifer Michele
Really easy and inexpensive dinner that the entire family enjoys. Even my picky four year old! This recipe is a mixture of many other recipes I have tried in the past. I have also used red cabbage at the end, and found it tasty for the adults, the children weren't terribly impressed with that addition though. Edit*** I have used this recently after trying new experiments and this recipe needs something I think. Something savory, maybe a couple anchovies? I do not know, but please experiment! I am also cutting the V8 to 2 cups as the 3 cups in the slow cooker seems to be too watery.
Top Review by monagrays
Everyone in my family and a couple of my neighbors tried and loved this beef stew. I used dehydrated onion in place of the onion soup mix and soy sauce replaced the worchestershire. I have never liked V8 Juice until I tried this recipe. Just the right amount of veggie taste was added!!! I procrastinated too long in the day and resorted to cooking on the stovetop which was about an hour and a half of simmering to tenderness.
- 1 lb stew beef chunk, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (optional)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3 cups vegetable juice (tomato based)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 medium carrots, cut in thick slices
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed, relatively same size as carrot pieces
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vegetables in bottom of crock pot.
- Toss beef with flour, shake off excess. Sauté beef in hot oil, optional step but recommended.
- Place beef on top of vegetables Mix juice, onion soup mix, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce; pour on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook on high 20-30 minutes.
- (This is a good time to clean up, or get ready for your day).
- Finish cooking on low for 8 hours.
- Mix in salt and pepper to taste and serve.